16.07.2010

Muscle or Exotic Cars?




Thank God for the Internet! Up until 5 minutes ago I had no idea that there are “muscle” cars on this planet and I only assumed you could use the adjective “exotic” in front of one…The bad news is I have been asked to write about two types of cars – muscle vs. exotic – but the good news is from now on our life will be so much easier as I will pick all my topics myself.

In order to understand how difficult it is for me to write about cars…let’s just say that… to my mind…a car is nothing more than a car…a vehicle…a means of transportation… something you use to move between two places A and B… What is more, colour is the only difference I truly get between cars…so, if you ask me…I would say I like the black ones better…

Now…if you give me two brands …such as Mustang Shelby GT 500 1969 and Lamborghini Gallardo and ask me to write about them…well…that’s it… I will put on the “you got me” face... But if you are my friend…I will also display a polite and curious smile…and proceed my researchpedia. According to this wise and generous resource…there are some differences between muscle and exotic cars.

Muscle cars are high performance automobiles usually of American origin and generally known as 2-door mid-size cars equipped with large, powerful engines and sold at an affordable price for street use. According to the June 1967 issue of Road Test magazine, a "muscle car" is "exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it”. Mustang Shelby GT 500 1969 was produced by Carroll Shelby, a former racing driver.

Exotic cars are ultra-high-end automobiles whose performance is superior to that of its contemporaries. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car", "with sporting handling to match" also "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own"… The Gallardo is Lamborghini's most-produced model to date, with over 10000 built in its first seven years of production and each car costs about $180,000 to $210,000.

So, having read so many pages and understood only a little about these two car types, what answer should I give to the title-question? If an opinion is compulsory, I would say that muscle cars are for men who dreamed about becoming race drivers in their childhood and now want to exceed both strength & speed limits and express their masculinity while taking a ride whereas exotic cars are more about social and financial status on street display and speed potential which will make sure you break the traffic regulations…since their childhood heroes used to do that so often in SF movies…

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu